Bb Cream or Tinted Sunscreen? (PLUS BB Cream Tutorial)

8:05 PM

Heyyyy :)

So you guys have been asking to hear about skin care, so I've come to the rescue: we're talking about SPF today! Everyone knows our typical white, opaque sunscreen, but what about BB creams and tinted sunscreen? No one really talks about those that much, and what's the difference between them?

Well, for starters, a BB cream:

  • Has more coverage than a tinted sunscreen
  • Evens out the pores of the skin
  • Often have whitening and brightening properties (the Eastern brands do, not so much the Western brands)
But...
  • BB creams are known for having little to no color selection
  • Can cause a white/grey cast in photos
  • Can show up cakey on non exfoliated skin
Meanwhile, tinted sunscreens:
  • Often have universal tints to them that work on all skin tones
  • Aren't cakey and very natural
  • Don't break out or irritate the skin
But...
  • Doesn't provide as much coverage as a concealer, bb cream, or foundation
  • Will require setting powder for oily skin
  • Can be expensive
If you decide that tinted sunscreen is more what you prefer, I suggest Oz Natural's tinted sunscreen; it's for a really good price compared to other sunscreens on the market, and there's no off colored cast. Not to mention, it's not cakey at all, even for people who have acne or don't exfoliate, it applies very smoothly with is a great plus! Also, (as someone with very oily skin) I haven't had a huge problem with this sunscreen making me too oily; I apply some powder in the morning and I'm good all day!
I apologize for the strange lighting as I've been experimenting! This is the OZ naturals tinted sunscreen swatch :)

Blended out/Final Result

However, some will find that BB cream suits them better than a tinted sunscreen as it has a higher coverage. Generally, if you buy a BB cream and it's too light, I suggest the use of it as a highlighter; I apply it to the under eyes, tzone, and tip of the chin to create more depth in the face. I suggest SKIN79's Triple Function BB cream orange. I got mine from Uniqso and it has great coverage along with 50 SPF (more than the average 30). Also a little bit of it goes a long way, so don't pump out too much! Also, exfoliate and moisturize before hand to get rid of cakey-ness and set it with a finishing powder if you have oily skin.


Here's the box it came in! As you can see, it claims wrinkle improvement and whitening properties. I have to say, I'm young enough (and also asians don't raisin lol) to not have any kind of wrinkles to test this on, but it definitely whitens, that's for sure!



The product comes in this sweet little round container. It has a tiny pump on the top (One pump is a LOT of product by the way).


Here's what the SKIN79 BB cream looks unblended. This tiny drop covered the entire front half of my forearm, so a little goes a long way!

As you can see, the right side of my arm is slightly brightened from the BB cream; it's very subtle!

Final result :)
Improper application of BB cream, however, can make your final result look very cakey, especially if you have dry skin or acne. The best results are to be seen if you apply the BB cream like demonstrated below:

The likely chance is the the BB cream will be lighter than your natural skin tone as it has whitening properties. First apply a primer and moisturizer to create a good base for the BB cream. Then, apply the BB cream like a high light in a triangle shape beneath each eye to conceal any dark circles. Then, apply on the forehead in an upside down T as seen above to create the illusion of a broader brow bone and rounder forehead. Also apply on the tip of the chin and tip of the nose.

Also apply a good amount onto the cheeks to make your cheekbones look higher (The photo above displays that I only use one tiny dot for highlighting my cheeks. This is because my cheeks are by far the broadest part of my face, therefore, they don't need much highlighting. However, to accommodate your own needs, evaluate your facial structure and apply as much highlight as needed). Also apply, a bit of BB cream highlight to the jaw line to balance out the color.

Next, buff out the BB cream. You'll notice that the little you put on covers your whole face (the small triangle will be enough to cover up the redness of the nose and that entire cheek, the dot on the nose will spread upwards to cover the whole bridge, and the upside down T on the forehead will cover the while T zone and temples). I suggest using a beauty blender or cosmetic sponge for the most airbrushed results, but in this tutorial, I've used a simple kabuki brush.

EEp, ghost face! That's the work of the BB cream, lightening up my skin and all. As you see, the BB drastically improves redness and whitens, but subtly and naturally.


Here's the final result with natural lighting. On a normal basis, I would apply powder over the BB cream as it can get to be really dewy (as seen below) and also I apply bronzer because the BB cream can be to be noticeably pale.


I wore SKIN79's BB cream in my SWEET BUNNY BROWN and GREY contact lens reviews, you can check them out to see some of it in action. Up close, you can see how dewy the BB cream is. See the gleam on my skin? It definitely whitens, and with one coat, redness is tamed a bit, but you can judge the photo yourself. I personally think the BB cream still lets a little bit on my redness through, but that's only up close with my high definition camera.


It really made my skin glow as you can see in this photo, my brow bone is really catching the light! But personally, I have really oily skin and I like to be matte, so I apply translucent powder as the last touch.


Above is the BB cream with bronzer on the cheek bones. I apply bronzer over the BB cream simply because it can get to be too white; people definitely noticed that I was paler.


Here's the look I had on in my SWEET BUNNY GREY review. Haha look at my cheekbones; I got'em for days.

:)

So which do you think is for you: BB cream, or tinted sunscreen?

Bebe :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Bebe Beanie. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook